Scruton Village Clock

After the end of the First World War when everyone who had gone off to fight came back safely, as a measure of their thankfulness the villagers raised enough money by public subscription to install a new clock on the church tower.

It didn't know it at the time but Scruton had become one of only 52 'Thankful Villages' in the country - communities where all servicemen and women returned safely when the Great War ended. A plaque to this effect was erected when Scruton was able to establish its Thankful Village status and this plaque will be accompanied by another on 3rd August 2014 when all 52 Thankful Villages erect an additional plaque in commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of the First World War.

In 1921 when the village clock was erected, the logical place to install it was on St Radegund's Church tower. This was not the first clock on the tower. Originally, when Roger Gale built Scruton Hall in 1705, it would seem he installed a square-faced clock which appears in a drawing of 1725 and in later paintings and photographs. By 1920 the original clock needed replacing and the villagers' subscriptions enabled the installation of its replacement, a round-faced chiming clock, on the south face wall of the tower a year later.


There is currently an appeal to raise over £2,000 to convert the manual mechanism to an electrical one. Anyone wishing to donate to the appear may send a donation to the PCC Treasurer, Mrs Joyce Williams, at Meadowside, Scruton, Northallerton, North Yorkshire DL7 0RG.

 

Scruton History

Links to further information on the history of Scruton village.


Scruton Village Clock

St Radegund


Website design by ReZolve. An SSIDM website - v2.9.008c [2]. Loaded in 0.0313 seconds.